Hiring A General Contractor in New York City? Sweeten can help.

New York City contractor licensing requirements

The Department of Buildings (DOB) issues licenses for general contractors in NYC, while the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) issues Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) licenses — more on the differences below.

Both DOB and HIC licenses have specific experience and insurance requirements that contractors must meet in order to qualify for a license. Once licensed, contractors must also complete continuing education courses every two years in order to maintain their license.

Note that the requirements for obtaining and maintaining a general contractor license may vary depending on the specific type of work being performed and the location of the project. It’s always a good idea to check with the appropriate licensing agency for specific requirements in your area.

NYC Department of Buildings license

A DOB license is required for contractors who perform construction, alteration, or repair work on buildings in NYC. This includes new construction, renovations, and repairs to existing structures. General contractors may also be required to hold additional licenses or certifications for specific types of work, such as electrical, plumbing, or asbestos abatement.

To qualify for a general contractor license, individuals must have at least seven years of experience in the construction industry, with at least two years in a supervisory role. Alternatively, they may qualify by completing a four-year apprenticeship program or by holding a bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture. Additionally, contractors must carry liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance, and must comply with all local building codes and regulations

NYC Home Improvement Contractor license

An HIC license, on the other hand, is specifically for contractors who perform home improvement work in NYC. Home improvement work includes repairs, alterations, renovations, or modifications to any part of a residential building, including single-family homes, multi-family homes, and apartments. HIC licensees are not permitted to perform new construction or work on commercial or industrial buildings.

To obtain a Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) license in New York City, contractors must have at least two years of experience in the home improvement industry with at least one year in a supervisory role, carry liability insurance, register with the Department of Finance and pay any applicable fees, complete a pre-license education course, pass a written exam, and meet bonding requirements by having a surety bond or cash deposit.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *